Monday, November 3, 2008

In Defense of Single Issue Voting (Final Edition)

The knock on "single issue voting" is that it is narrow and ignores other topics.

My vision of single issue voting does not ignore other issues (it is a disservice to one's citizenship to simply disengage) but I maintain the possibility that one issue may rise to top.

With its staggering human toll and its disturbing role in perverting the separation of powers between the judicial and legislative branches, Roe v. Wade is such an issue.

Luckily, I find much more to like with John McCain (especially his stance on the "life" issue of global warming) but this one issue (Roe) does prevent me from seriously considering Barack Obama.

For those of you considering Obama, I point you to the following L.A. Times piece chronicling the rise of Roe. It is a fascinating read, but as you read it I urge you to ask yourself, "Is this the way a court should operate?"

The story outlines the dangers of a judiciary that refuses to accept its limited role. Instead, the justices serve to push personal policy agendas driven by a variety of life experiences---all without the normal checks of procedure, coalition building, committee hearings, constituent input, the threat of veto, and (most importantly) the need to get re-elected that influence Congress.

Beyond the constitutional problems inherent in having nine elderly lawyers deciding important moral questions is the sheer body count.

Consider the following summary from the pro-choice Guttmacher Institute here.

A few highlights:

- In 2005, 1.21 million abortions were performed in the U.S.

- From 1973 through 2005, more than 45 million legal abortions occurred.

- Over 100,000 abortions occur annually after the first trimester.

- The abortion rate increased from 16.3 abortions per 1,000 women (aged 15 to 44) in 1973 (first year under Roe) to 29.3 in 1981 and has slowly fallen since to 19.4 in 2005.

Obama supports both the judicial philosophy that made Roe possible, and he has said that his first act as President would be to sign the Freedom of Choice Act that limits the states' ability to regulate abortion.

I can not vote for him and I urge you to vote for McCain.

There is much to admire about McCain and I highlight that here.

No comments: