The NPR interview I noted in passing a couple of days ago was his downfall. Careless words said without the proper disclaimers and qualifiers gave his enemies a reason to pounce---and pounce they did.
I heard the interview and was concerned about Cizik's personal support for gay civil unions. I would guess he viewed this as a practical compromise position---a way to balance the dance of church and state. I disagree with his position (especially after hearing a representative of the Human Rights Campaign state that civil unions are indeed used as a building block towards full gay marriage). I disagreed with other things Cizik said as well, such as his Virginia primary support of Obama. Mike Huckabee was hopelessly behind, but I went and voted for him. Yet, I can understand the desire to participate in the much more active Democratic primary too---Rush Limbaugh was advocating as much (though I more respect Rich's vote for his preferred candidate over Rush's call to vote Hillary for electoral chaos). Yet, being forced out after 28 years of service seems an overreaction to say the least.
Through the grapevine (and vines I tend to trust) I have heard that Cizik confided in others that he voted for McCain in the general election. He offered what he could to build bridges with a liberal NPR audience, but the bridge was burned behind him.
Here are the thoughts I posted as a CT comment:
Rev. Cizik has been a strong voice for the neglected (but biblical) idea of creation stewardship. I heard the NPR interview and his statements about civil unions concerned me, but it is a bad day for proclaimers of the good news that our sins can be forgiven when one gaffe on gays gets you fired. Now watch as critics of Cizik's creation care work seek to link environmentalism to the gay agenda. Don't fall for it.
Regretably, now let the list of "creation care = gay agenda" non-sequiturs begin:
(1) FRC's Tony Perkins: "This revelation should not come as a surprise. This is the risk of walking through the green door of environmentalism and global warming - you risk being blinded by the green light and losing your sense of direction. How else can you explain enthusiastic support for what will probably be the nation's most pro-abortion, anti-family president in our nation's 232 year history?"
Hard to argue with brilliant logic like that (sarcasm present). Environmentalism is to be feared. It may even make you gay. No need to honestly debate the biblical case for creation care or the overwhelming science of global warming when you can play the homo card.
Green does not equal gay.
It's a sad day. Please pray for Rich and his lovely family.
.
2 comments:
Wow. That's a shame to hear he's been pushed out. Tony Perkins' logic in the quote you mention is a good example of why I don't take any cues whatsoever from the old guard evangelical groups. They may be relevant with more fundamentalist churches and denominations, but for evangelicalism to press itself out from the anti-intellectualism old mode, more folks will need to actually use their intellect.
Perkins, Limbaugh, Dobson et al are long past their "by dates". Fortunately others who look at the totality of God's Holy Word, and respect its truth, know and understand that we are to love and care for God's creation and His people.
I don't know Cizik, but I respect his right to express his opinions showing understanding of the complexity of both environmental concerns and human concerns.
Perhaps the juxtaposition of his comments was unfortunate, but the reaction to them by the old guard was way out of proportion. But then there's nothing new about that...that seems to be their pattern.
Ultimately we will all stand before God. He will decide who was obedient to His Word in regard to His Creation and to treating one another in Christian love when we disagree.
Ann
Post a Comment