Monday, May 26, 2008

Thanks on this Memorial Day

The "big picture" of war, love for enemies, the State's legitimate handling of "the sword" and other related issues are all important issues worthy of deep discussion. Frankly, my head starts to swirl when I try to articulate a theology of war. Just exactly how, given the fallenness of humanity and the imperfect nature of our own nation, American Christians should view our current wars and each of the wars of our past is a question that I cannot answer. I have a big book on war and Christian ethics and maybe one day I will read all of it. I will still likely be confused.

I recognize that the ability to ponder and ruminate on a theoretical concept of war is a luxury that those who serve in the military are generally not afforded. They must make split-second life and death decisions. They have answered a call to serve something larger than themselves, even when they do not fully understand the reasons for the orders they follow. Millions have placed their lives on the line and paid a high cost in blood. Many who love the fallen have grieved over a depth of sacrifice that few of us will ever know.

I cannot answer about history's judgment regarding each war that has been fought, but the personal and familial sacrifices that have been made deserve only one response: a heartfelt thanks. And so I say a deep "thank you" to those who have served the nation since 1775 and offered their lives in the hope that we would properly utilize the freedoms that they fought to preserve. May our country rightly honor your valor.

No comments: