These days I am usually not a "plane talker." Years of stony, impersonal silence on the D.C. Metro (subway) have worn me down, but today I met a most interesting lady on a flight. She was traveling to help her dad around a gathering of American heroes in Atlanta, Georgia. I do not use the term "hero" lightly as her father won the Congressional Medal of Honor. We had a fascinating conversation about her dad as well as our mutual interest in water/salmon issues of the Northwest.
Today, our nation is at war, but most of us are simply concerned about when our "free" stimulus money from the IRS will show up. As our culture grows fat, lazy, and decadent, it is worth remembering that millions answered our nation's call in the past, and thousands do so today. My personal feelings about this war and "war" in general are complex and incomplete, but I offer you the story of Arthur Jackson without commentary or judgment. His is an amazing story of bravery and skill. The words hardly do it justice, but I met living proof today that testifies to the truth of the tale. Perhaps we should talk to the people next to us more often.
http://www.medalofhonor.com/ArthurJackson.htm
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment