Friday, March 28, 2008

Eco-Shape...Making plastic feel good again.

It's been too long. I've neglected my little blog (and my laundry) while dealing with a work tornado. My desk confirms the meteorological analogy. Today the tornado took a breather and after the (sorta) climactic meeting I picked up lunch at a food court. As my three regular readers know, I am currently not the biggest fan of bottled water, but I fell victim to the "order by number" combo mindset and ended up with a bottle of Deer Park in my hand to avoid a caffeinated soft drink I didn't need either.

But friends, this was not just any water, no it was contained in the "New Eco-Shape Bottle." Yes, now there is green ink on the label and the container is designed to use 30% less plastic. So feel good as you drink your water and send another plastic bottle on to the landfill. As the bottle says, "We can all make a difference, please recycle."

Of course recycling only captures about 5% of the plastics we produce and "recycling" means that they get turned into fleece or fake lumber that eventually makes its way to the landfill anyway. There is no endless loop of plastic. You either make one stop or two before landfill. (Details you need not concern yourself with thanks to the trademarked Eco-Shape Bottle.)

I should have used 100% less plastic.

Well, partly due to the the guilt induced from my green-scam bottle, I canceled my membership in the office water club today. I didn't feel that guilty when I joined several years ago due to the skull and crossbones signs on our drinking water fountains (truly, take that sentence literally). Now we at least have access to drinkable water, and so I'll no longer be drinking from Deer Park. I'll take the challenge I've given to others (aka "practice what you preach") and devote that water club money to helping the 1.1 billion people who do not have access to clean water worldwide. (See Living Water International at water.cc to find out more.) Drink up!

No comments: