“Made in the USA” is a phrase we do not see much anymore. A couple years ago, at a holiday concert near the steps of the Capitol, I was handed a small paper flag. I noticed a strange mark and holding the miniature Old Glory up to the light I could see that “Made in China” had been manually blacked out.
There are benefits to free trade, but I can not help but wonder if placing even our flag production in the hands of capitalist-Communists in China is a wise national policy.
I expected to get more material for this blog post from a U.S. Olympic Committee mailer. For a $20 donation I could get a cheap fleece jacket. Not then having a cheap fleece jacket and knowing the benefits of one during Fall camping season, I let Phelps-mania overtake my checkbook. I assumed that, like the 2008 Olympics, my fleece would be originating in China.
I was truly shocked to receive my promo item today and see “USA” staring back at me---not just from the embroidery---but as the country of origin too. I do not know where they found an American garment factory, but my (made in Bangladesh) hat is off the USOC for staying true to their country.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment