It appears I'm not the only one frustrated with fundraising letters masking as surveys.
I was more than a little shocked to see the over-the-top NRSC mailer that I highlighted in June on CNN, but there it was. (Unfortunately, I can't find it online.)
A fellow blogger (Michael Williams of "Master of None") and his wife were tapped to be the talking heads after their own blog post caught CNN's eye (actually, CNN was fishing for someone to use . . . and according to the blogger, "use" is the right word.)
According to the report, the NRSC has "apologized" for the mailer but said it was "a common fundraising technique." This is somewhat like a car salesman "apologizing" for ripping you off after the fact, but defending his actions by noting that charging $500 for the non-existant undercoating is a standard industry ploy.
Certainly, the NRSC isn't the only group playing this game, but hopefully things will change after being embarrassingly called on it. Don't bet on it though.
Update: Fake Surveys Received Since this Post
- American Rivers ("Important Survey"; "Time-sensitive"; Includes fake survey code)
- Republican Party Census ("Official Business"; Includes the same "$11 to cover the cost of tabulating my survey" option as the NRSC mailing; and if you don't give you can choose "No, I favor electing liberal Democrats over the next ten years")
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have yet to get the idea from any major political figures or parties that they actually respect me. Someday I'd like to find somebody I can enthusiastically vote for. But then maybe it's the grace of God keeping me from idolatry.
Post a Comment