Mike Huckabee was supposed to make a big announcement about his future tonight. As a donor, I was on the email list for a tele-conference to hear it all live. Curious myself if the Huckster was going to be starting a cable show, a PAC, or perhaps coming out with a revamped version of Deal-A-Meal, I let my fingers do the walking to join in the fun.
After "successfully" crossing the phone bridge, I was met with a chorus of grandmas saying "Whaares, Mike? I can't hear Mike," one mom doing her dishes, lots of little homeschool kids yacking near open phone lines, and several cranky know-it-alls telling everyone to "hit star six and mute your phone" (followed by about 100 beeps as folks did what they were told). Mike never made it to the hillbilly party-line I was on, but apparently one blogger made it to the Promised Land and typed out what was said. I give you the link, but I wouldn't waste your time on it.
http://onemom.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/huckabee-teleconference-april-10-2008/
No big announcement---other than Mike declining to tell us who "God's choice" for President is now that he is out of the race (yes, that was an actual question that they pre-selected). There was one little boilerplate answer about the environment---I suppose it is a good sign that he tipped his hat to the Crunchy Cons out there.
Mostly there was just a teaser for the new mikehuckabee.com and a plug or two for Charisma Magazine, owned by Steve Strang---the "host" of this infomercial. Huckabee just so happens to be on the cover this month and clicking on the follow-up email link for a replay also gets you an ad for that journalistic masterpiece. Strang is also apparently the force behind the current "No Mitt" ads seeking to disuade McCain from playing the rich, Mormon, CEO VP card. (I don't think there was ever much chance of that. I get the feeling Mr. Straightalk would rather order roomservice from the Hanoi Hilton customer service staff than have to campaign with Mitt at his side.)
So, what did this little exercise accomplish. Well, apparently Strange (oops, Strang) got a "thank you" gift for his hit-Mitt-job. Judging from the mood on my conference line,though, he'll likely get more cancellations than new subscriptions, and Huckabee managed to annoy a few hundred of his most loyal supporters who couldn't get on this call...many of whom will only be more annoyed when they see the complete lack of substance that was pitched to them as a big event. Put this one up there with the we-were-gonna-play-this-attack-ad-but-now-we're-not Iowa press conference on your Huck-a-blunder scorecard.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This sort of reminds me of the scene in A Christmas Story where the kid gets the Little Orphan Annie decoder wheel, works feverishly to get the clues and decode the message only to realize that it says "Be Sure to Drink More Ovaltine."
"A crummy commercial?" he laments.
Hey, like your site! Seems like we have quite a bit in common,
Pundit Mama
http://www.crunchyconservatives.com
Post a Comment