With some real sadness that it came to this, I must report that my relationship with NewMajority.com has ended. While I wish them well and agree with much of the perspective pitched there---Rush often is not Right (sometimes on policy, almost always on tone), and conservation is indeed conservative---the site's drift and then avalanche to the left on judicial activism, gay marriage, and abortion was eventually more than I could take.
No need to go into all the inside baseball here, but suffice it to say that my efforts to bring more balance to newmajority.com on social issues were rebuffed. While my perspectives on global warming and greening the GOP were always welcomed, my traditional conservative views on the unborn and the family were not. The site, originally billed as a place where conversation could occur among all who wear the Republican label proudly, was instead becoming a monologue with different voices saying the same thing. I sincerely doubt a Republican majority can be cobbled together by moving away from life and towards gay marriage.
And Green does not equal gay in my book. There indeed is much, much, much that the Church and the far right wing can do to better relate to those struggling with homosexuality (and those not struggling as well). Offering blessings and a marital stamp of normalcy to sin is not merciful however.
I will continue to embrace the care of God's creation from a biblical and classically conservative viewpoint. As Russell Kirk wisely noted, "Nothing is more conservative than conservation."
I am, though, generally proud of my work there and you can view my archive here.
Perhaps walking away will be good for both of us. I've already seen some signs of hope in the last couple of days at NM---including a link to an Albert Mohler piece on the Tiller murder (a welcome turn from the bloody hand graphic that implied all pro-lifers were to blame for the actions of one on the fringe). May the trend the continue.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Do you see any other organizations or movements on the upswing that aren't racing away from conservative social positions?
Post a Comment